Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Fixing a Hoover Quest ( 700  / 800 ) That will not charge 

Did your Hoover Quest just stop taking a charge altogether, or won't charge it's batteries ? 


I have two robot vacuums.  Both that I fixed, and bought inexpensively because they were 'problem' machines -- that common problem they both shared was power related.

I think this is probably due to the cheap chinese cells that manufactures are fitting their devices with.  Could be wrong, but probably not.  I fixed a Roomba about a year ago with a battery rebuild (usually the first two cells or the last two cells will be bad in the battery) so you can just replace those and the unit will usually function again as new.  I opted finally after testing extensively to just replace the entire battery with a new unit.

Next I purchased the HOOVER QUEST 700 on ebay for a mere $50 ; and it was like new in the package with all of its accessories.  When I got the unit, I quickly discovered that this thing simply refused to take a charge.  I tested the docking / charging dock with my meter.  It was fine.

So  next I opened the unit ** BE CAREFUL when you open the unit, as there are two wire connectors you have to remove before taking the top off the bottom part completely. 

Then I put the battery on my meter.  It was under 1v ; so I quickly figured the unit must not "see" the battery because of the low voltage .  If the charging circuitry cannot see the battery, it won't charge it.

 I took out the battery and hooked it up to a simple 5v 500ma charger for a couple of hours ; then reconnected it to the Quest.  Your average cell phone charger puts out about that same voltage, so just sacrifice one of those adapters to charge the battery up.  When you strip the charger wires, the wire with the white line will be positive, and the solid black wire is negative.    

When putting the unit back together, place the battery in first and then jiggle the top plastic frame onto the bottom.  If it doesn't want to work the first time, don't worry -- just check wires from the battery and make sure nothing is obstructing reassembly.  A couple screws in the unit will work for testing / final charging, if you don't want to completely reassemble the unit.

After unit is assembled, place it back onto it's original base station / charger as the battery should only have a 5V charge now, but enough for the base station to "see" the unit, and charge it fully.

Unit immediately began to charge and still works fine today.  If those batteries get too low, the unit will not charge them.  Its a really bad design flaw, but other than that these are pretty good units and work alright for what they are.  Eventually I will rebuild both battery packs with higher quality cells ; which is the way to go. I do not see anyone selling an aftermarket battery for the quest / or even a replacement battery yet on ebay.   Of course, you could test and or replace cells in these packs individually.  Usually when rebuilding a battery pack -- the first and second cells in from the positive wire will be the bad apples.

Hope this helps others to fix non charging Hoover Quest 700 and 800 models!


UPDATE:  The device goes into this mode (will not charge) frequently, and as I result I cannot recommend the purchase of this model or make. Hoover has also made NO attempt to rectify the situation and I will  no longer recommend the Hoover brand to anyone. 

Kyle

25 comments:

  1. Do you have any suggestions for someone who knows nothing about batteries? Mine won’t charge either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been trying to find the battery but can not get the bottom face plate off all together. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had no problems with opening the unit, I think it's 4 screws and the top comes off the bottom in a clam shell like design. Be careful of those wires.

      Delete
  3. Open the filter area, take out the container thi g and unscrew the 4 screws on the black thing. You cna disconnect the battery there but you need to take all the main screw out on the bottom to get the top off. Be careful, there are wires connecting the top and bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What you guys charge the battery with to get a charge on it to Use it again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a bench power supply at 5v 1A ; but you can just use a small 5v 500mA cell phone adapter / or similar to charge up the battery to 5v so that the base station / charging circuit will "see" the battery to charge it to is full capacity.

      Delete
  5. Hi Kyle, I have a quest 800. It appears to have two separate sets of batteries, which are wired together. Same solution?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just opened up my quest 700 and it also seems to have two batteries.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mine worked 4 separate times and then stopped taking a charge. It’s collecting dust under my bed now. Bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My guest 700 won't charge, and we're can I fine new battery, and how do I take it out?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I followed Kyle's advice and my Quest is now charging. Hopefully the batteries will be able to hold a charge for a considerable time. The Quest had sat in its box for the better part of a year previously which is probably the reason that the batteries had discharged.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Might just solder in a charge port and drill a hole so you don't have to open up again lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. How many amps and volts are the charger. The part that plugs into the wall. When I try to charge it, the doc has a red flashing light and the robot has a blue flashing light

    ReplyDelete
  12. Any chance someone has pictures or a video of the process? I have the 700 opened up, but now I'm lost.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can anyone fix mine??? I know nothing about this type of stuff

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, I too would like to see a video. Same issue as all above, battery not charging. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm trying to sacrifice one of those adapters to charge the battery up, but my charger wire has 4 small wire--3 white and 1 pink.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I read your blog on daily basis. This is really great and informative post. Thanks for sharing.

    Quest 1000 Robot Vacuum

    ReplyDelete
  17. So you saying just cut the ends off of a phone charger, and put them pos to pos and neg to beg of the battery and that will jump charge the batteries enough to take a charge? Don’t I need a regulator? Or anything?

    ReplyDelete
  18. My quest 800 seems to charge, the phone app indicates 100%charge, but then only runs for about 2 minutes, and the battery is dead. I’m not battery savvy but I’m guessing this is bad cells, probably not a “jump start” solution described above?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Kyle,got my quest 800 working with this advise

    ReplyDelete
  20. I did this fix hooked up a car battery trickle charger for a few hours put batter back in the quest and boom works!!! thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. where can i buy Battery , Bh70600, Bh70700 440009840

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete